A Sample Lesson Plan For a 2nd Grade Classroom
This post was written by our TEFL certification graduate Trang V. Please note that this blog post might not necessarily represent the beliefs or opinions of ITTT.
- TOPIC: COLOR
- TIME: 90’
- TEACHER: Tracy
- EXPECTED NUMBER OF STUDENTS: 15
- ACTIVITY: VOCABULARY TEACHING
- VOCABULARY POINT: Black, white, yellow, pink, blue, green, orange, grey, brown, purple, red
- LEARNER OBJECTIVES: At the end of the lesson, pupils will be able to identify the colors in English and remember the way to pronounce them correctly. Students will be able to introduce themselves by referring to the colors they like and name the colors of things. Students will be able to express their likes and dislikes.
- MATERIALS: coursebook, workbook, flashcard of colors, board and pen, picture, sticker, flashcard, white small ball and color boxes, different real-life objects, and video.
Also Read: Moving Forward: My Personal Teaching Experience, Changing Careers
STAGE 1 - Understanding And Learning The Meaning Of New Words (10’)Firstly, students watch a video that is related to colors. Students give their attention the main words: Black, white, yellow, pink, blue, green, orange, grey, brown, purple, redHelp them to understand what topic we learn today. They watch the video once and try to remember some of the colors.Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4XUBGJK180
Then the teacher will move around class make them have more focus:The Teacher will hold a sticker of colors and put your hands behind your back. You will move into some objects that have colors and from that, you show stickers which have color which have the same color with objects. And speak louder this color.
STAGE 2- Attending To Form (20’)
The teacher will use a flashcard of colors. Firstly, you will scramble flashcards fast and speak louder. Then you do that slowly and your students repeat after you twice. (5’)Then the teacher asks students “ What color is it? It’s a …….. help them to answer and stick a flashcard on the board. You handout the question “ What color is it” and stick it on the board. The students will repeat the question after you twice. And then you show how they answer by stick “ It’s ……….”. And you make an example by moving a flashcard to the blanks.After that, the teacher invites the students to the board. (10’)The teacher will point some objects in class and ask “ Is it …..” help them practice reflexing with color. (5’)
Also Read: Top Four Reasons to Learn English
STAGE 3- Practicing And Enjoying Activities (20’)
The teacher will prepare boxes of colors they learned. Put them in a row. Make class into two groups. Every group has a basket of balls. The students will ask the teacher. The teacher answers the color. When the player listens to the color, they will run in the hurdles race and pick the ball. They have to throw the ball into the box which has the same color as the teacher said. Who faster and correct will have a point for the group?
STAGE 4- Review Vocabulary With Song (15’)
The students make a circle around the teacher and sit down. The teacher will put all of the flashcards on the floor. The order of the pictures is organized by song. The teacher will repeat colors and help them know the lyrics of the song. The students will sing to follow you. Then the teacher will turn on the music and try to sing twice.Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_Zzw96qJ1Y
STAGE 5- Developing Strategies For Vocabulary (25’)
Finally, the teacher asks the student to be divided into groups and gives a worksheet to every group. They will discuss and choose colors to complete a picture/ worksheet. So their social skills with their friends can develop. When they finish the teacher will invite each group to the board and talk colors.After that, the Teacher will give them homework and say, goodbye teacher, goodbye colors
Do you want to teach English abroad or online? Take a TEFL course!
Apply now & get certified to teach english abroad!
Speak with an ITTT advisor today to put together your personal plan for teaching English abroad!
Send us an email or call us toll-free at 1-800-490-0531 to speak with an ITTT advisor today.
- Online or In-Class - Which TEFL Course Should You Take?
- The Truth About TEFL for Non-Native English Speaking Teachers
- How to Save Money While Teaching English Abroad?
- Two Traveling Teachers Share What It's Like Teaching English Abroad as a Couple
- The 12 Most Affordable Countries For Teaching English Abroad
- The Best Countries to Teach ESL When You're 50+