"Like" us to connect with other students, watch videos, see job offers and even get special discounts.
TEFL in Turkey - Kayseri
Date posted:2003-02-21 | Writer: TED Kayseri College | Email: email@example.com
NATIVE ENGLISH TEACHERS
TED Kayseri College, Turkey
We are seeking for Native English Teachers (to start on 1st September 2003) for positions in our college in Kayseri, Turkey.I've attached the detailed information you need. If you are interested, could you please send your CV and a photo. Head of English Departmant
General information for native speakers working and living at TED Kayseri College
Housing - Kayseri is located in the center of Turkey, east of the capital Ankara.
1. Accommodation is provided on the school campus, so access to school is very convenient. The school is also located approximately five minutes walk to the main street where you can buy all your groceries and other requirements. The city center where you can find the market place, banks, post office and larger department stores, etc. is approximately 15 minutes walk.
2. The flats are self contained units with a large living room, kitchen, two bedrooms, bathroom and balconies and are located in the school garden.
There are four flats together so you are always near the other foreign teachers.
3. The school covers the cost of electricity and the only cost to the teacher is the gas which you need for hot water and cooking. This is about 15 MTL per bottle and can last 1-2 months depending on use and how many people in your flat.
4. You also have access to the internet from the flats, although you may need to share this with the other foreign teachers.
5. Owning a car is not necessary in this city as the other teachers are always happy to help out if you need help with transport, and the public transport is also regular and convenient although I found it just as easy to walk places. For domestic travel the coach/bus companies are cheap and very comfortable with regular and convenient timetables.
Cost of living
1. Living in Kayseri is cheap and other than shopping for clothes the only cost I had was for food and leisure activities which included the cinema and skiing in the winter, I have included some examples for your information:
Bread, milk, eggs, fruit and vegetables, cola Less than 1 Million TL each
1 kg chicken breasts 5 MTL
School lunch Less than 1 Million TL
Restaurant Dinner 3 ? 6 Million TL
Can of beer Less than 1 Million TL
Bottle of wine 5 Million TL
At the moment, 1 USA dollar: 1 650 000 TL / 1 Pound : 2 550 000 TL
2. The tourist areas can be a little more expensive but the prices are still
a lot cheaper than other European countries.
3. The cost of travel to these areas is also cheap, a dolmus (mini van transport) to Cappadocia for example is approximately 3 MTL, and a bus to the more distant areas is about 10 MTL for a 5 or 6 hour journey.
1. TED Kayseri College is a private school and is one of about 20 in Turkey, with the Head office in Ankara. Every February there is a conference for all of the schools so you will have a chance to meet teachers from other cities in Turkey.
2. Student age group: Primary school 7 - 13
Secondary school 14 ? 17
4. Text books and all equipment will be supplied to you by the school and you have access to art resources if necessary.
4. There is access to school computers and a video room with a computer assisted projector so you can play films and educational CDs to the students. There is also access to the internet at school.
Pay and benefits
1. Accommodation is provided.
2. Return airfares are paid for.
3. Pay will be given to you half in Turkish currency and half in foreign currency for example: GBP. The pay for 2003 is 600 GBP Per month. If you renew your contract for a second year there will be a pay increase.
4. The contract is for September 2003 to June 2004. You will be contracted to work a 24 hour week. There is a semester holiday in February for two weeks, plus approximately 10 other school holidays.
You will get a work visa from a Turkish Embassy with your University
diploma, TEFL/TESOL certificate and a signed contract that will be sent to you.
TED Kayseri College web page