Date posted:2016-08-01 | Writer: Meddeas | Email: [email protected]
Last minute EFL openings available in Spanish schools! We are looking for recent graduates to become language assistants starting in September 2016 until June 2017 in some of the main cities in Spain (such as Almería, Bilbao, Burgos, Madrid, and Madrid outskirts). TEFL, TESOL, CELTA or equivalent qualification desired. Receive a monthly grant, teaching-related certified training and the opportunity to explore a country.
Do you want to live a once in a lifetime opportunity?
Becoming a Language Assistant in a Spanish school with Meddeas is a unique experience that will stay with you for your entire life. During one academic year, you will enrol a structured programme and cooperate in one of our more than 200 educational centres. Moreover, you will add international experience and transferable skills to your CV while discovering a new culture and language and receiving a monthly grant, which is more than enough for living in Spain as a student. You can teach children aged two to eighteen, learners' English levels range from beginner to advance.
“When I tell people I spent my past year teaching English in Spain, the reactions are always positive. Of course, it is an impressive feat to list on your resume. Employers understand the importance of life skills that can only be acquired from leaving the comforts of your home town, not to mention your home country, in exchange for an adventure. Additionally, the independence and professionalism gained from working through a private agency as a representative of your country and language is remarkable”, Thais M., language assistant 2014/15 (Source: Meddeas Language Assistants’ Blog).
Starting dates available:
- September 2016 until June 2017
- January 2017 until June 2017
Spain receives 63 million tourists every year thanks to its 41 UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Sites. It has a unique, vibrant and welcoming culture. At the same time it is a Western European country with affordable living standards and high personal security levels. At last but not least, learning Spanish will boost you employability.
So what does Meddeas offer you?
No matter what your background is, there is a Meddeas’ programme for you that will include a University certified course.
• Qualifications: degree in English OR any degree + TEFL course OR degree in Education
• Conversation practice with up to 28 pupils
• Monthly grant is 912 Euros per month OR 462 Euros per month + full board accommodation with a host family
• Qualifications: any degree
• Conversation practice with up to 14 pupils
• Monthly grant is 862 Euros per month OR 412 Euros per month + full board accommodation with a host family
There are two lodging options: full board accommodation with a host family or independently housing, depending on your own interests. Families in these programmes are linked to the school and chosen by its principal. In fact, they host the Language Assistant on a volunteer basis to experience a cultural and linguistic immersion. The main idea of this cultural exchange is that, while out of the school, Language Assistants will spend half of their time interacting in English with the family and the other half interacting in Spanish, travelling or enjoying their spare time as they want. During the programme, the family will cover meals and accommodation expenses.
The more Spanish you speak before your arrival the more you’ll learn while you’re here. If you are going to live with a host family, we provide you with a Spanish language online course before your arrival in Spain to help you make the most of this experience.
Desirable candidate profile:
• Native-level English speaker.
• Recent graduates (last four years).
• TEFL, TESOL, CELTA or equivalent qualification desired.
• Someone who enjoys working with children and / or young people.
• Energetic and imaginative.
• With no criminal records.
• Competence in the Spanish language is recommended, but not necessary.
Selected candidates will:
• Join a Spanish school to cooperate as Language Assistants with 20 teaching hours per week, with the same holidays as the school.
• Receive a 20 ECTS credits Expert in Bilingual Education certified course, given by a Spanish university, or a 6 ECTS TEFL or AMET certified course –depending on the programme.
• Receive a Spanish course online before the arrival in Spain (for those living with a host family).
• Have health insurance covered by the program (EU citizens).
• Receive a monthly allowance, more than enough for living in Spain as a student.
• Have support from the school’s designated Tutor and from Meddeas, helping the language assistant in his/her task.
• Vacancies in main cities (Almería, Bilbao, Burgos, Madrid, and Madrid outskirts)
What does a language assistant do?
• Deliver conversational English lessons during the requested weekly hours.
• Encourage oral practice in English.
• Explain the culture of your own country.
• Help in other subjects apart from English such as science, art, sport.
• Act as a role model for correct pronunciation and grammar.
• Collaborate with teaching staff in creating teaching materials and planning lessons.
Meddeas is a Spanish organization with presence in four countries that supports multilingual teaching in more than 200 educational centres. It offers language assistant programs and provides consultancy services. Recent graduates from all the main universities in Ireland and the UK have already joined our programmes.
Contact us via email at the address given on the job heading.
Below you can read feedback from an ITTT graduate regarding one section of their online TEFL certification course. Each of our online courses is broken down into concise units that focus on specific areas of English language teaching.