The Americas covers a huge area that has many strong job markets for TEFL qualified teachers. Across Central and South America there are many countries where jobs are easy to find and the requirements expected by employers are often less stringent than in some other regions. First-time teachers typically have plenty of job options, making it a great part of the world for gaining classroom experience. Many of our trainees, particularly from the US and Canada, start their teaching journeys here after completing their TEFL certification at one of our world-class training centers.
Table of Contents
The Americas is a very diverse region covering many different cultures and we have training centers in seven different countries for you to choose from. Every center is operated by professional staff that are very familiar with the local area and the wider teaching scene across the region. Our in-class TEFL course training centers in the Americas are located in:
If you want to visit Argentina for your TEFL training you will find our in-class center in the capital, Buenos Aires. The city is a cultural hotspot and a bustling center for teaching English, which is evident in the large number of jobs available throughout the capital and beyond. Highlights to look out for include:
- Plaza de Mayo: Visit the city's historic square, surrounded by important government buildings and the iconic Casa Rosada.
- La Boca: Explore the colorful neighborhood known for its vibrant street art, tango culture, and the famous Caminito street.
- FÃºtbol: Attend a football (soccer) match at one of Buenos Aires' famous stadiums, such as La Bombonera (Boca Juniors) or El Monumental (River Plate).
- Buenos Aires street art: Explore the city's vibrant street art scene, with colorful murals adorning buildings throughout the city.
- CafÃ© culture: Enjoy the tradition of sipping coffee and people-watching at classic Buenos Aires cafes, including CafÃ© Tortoni.
Colombia is a relatively new destination for teaching EFL, but it is really taking off. Our center in Bogata provides a welcoming base for completing your course and a great gateway to the countryâs booming English language teaching scene. Highlights of Bogata include:
- Plaza BolÃvar: Visit the city's main square, surrounded by important government buildings like the Capitolio Nacional and the Cathedral of BogotÃ¡.
- La Candelaria: Explore the historic neighborhood with its colonial architecture, colorful houses, and cultural attractions.
- Mount Monserrate: Take a cable car or hike to the summit for panoramic views of BogotÃ¡ and visit the Santuario del SeÃ±or CaÃdo church.
- CiclovÃa: Join locals on Sundays when major streets are closed to vehicles, allowing for biking, jogging, and recreational activities.
- Coffee tasting: Experience Colombian coffee culture by sampling locally grown and roasted coffee at cafes throughout the city.
Costa Rica attracts a large number of foreign teachers due to its natural beauty, relaxed pace of life, and strong demand for TEFL qualified professionals. Our center is situated close to Manuel Antonio National Park, which is commonly regarded as one of the most stunning national parks in the world. Highlights of this center include:
- Manuel Antonio National Park: Explore this biodiverse park known for its lush rainforests, pristine beaches, and abundant wildlife.
- Manuel Antonio Beach: Relax on the park's beautiful white-sand beaches and take a dip in the warm Pacific Ocean waters.
- Wildlife viewing: Spot a wide range of wildlife, including capuchin monkeys, howler monkeys, three-toed sloths, iguanas, and a variety of exotic birds, while hiking through the park.
- Quepos: Visit the nearby town of Quepos for its charming local atmosphere, restaurants, and the Quepos Marina.
- Whale watching: Go on a whale-watching excursion during the season to spot humpback whales as they migrate through the area.
Guatemala is another up-and-coming destination in the Americas for teaching English abroad. This is a great choice if you are looking for an adventure that is a little off the traditional path. Jobs are widespread and there are many other highlights of taking your course in La Antigua, including:
- Parque Central: Explore the heart of Antigua in this picturesque square surrounded by colorful colonial buildings, the Cathedral, and the Palace of the Captains General.
- Antigua Cathedral: Visit the impressive 16th-century cathedral, known for its baroque architecture and stunning interiors.
- Volcano hiking: Embark on an adventure to hike nearby volcanoes like Pacaya, Acatenango, or Fuego for thrilling experiences and incredible vistas.
- Coffee tours: Learn about coffee production and sample locally grown coffee on guided tours of nearby coffee farms.
- Spanish schools: Enroll in Spanish language classes at one of the many language schools in Antigua to enhance your language skills.
Mexico probably has more English language teaching jobs than any other country in the region, which is one of the many reasons why it is a popular choice for taking a TEFL certification course. Our training center is in the beach resort city of Puerto Vallarta, whose highlights include:
- MalecÃ³n: Stroll along the oceanfront boardwalk, filled with sculptures, street performers, shops, and restaurants, offering stunning views of Banderas Bay.
- Los Muertos Beach: Relax on the popular beach, known for its lively atmosphere, water sports, and beachfront bars.
- Zona RomÃ¡ntica: Explore the charming Romantic Zone, with its cobblestone streets, art galleries, boutiques, and vibrant nightlife.
- Marietas Islands: Take a boat tour to these protected islands, home to diverse marine life and the hidden "Playa del Amor" (Hidden Beach).
In recent years Peru has become a major destination for tourism and teaching English abroad. Our training center in the ancient city of Cusco, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is a great base for exploring the many attractions in the area, including:
- Plaza de Armas: Explore the city's central square, lined with historic colonial buildings, including the Cathedral of Cusco.
- SacsayhuamÃ¡n: Visit the impressive Inca fortress with massive stone walls overlooking Cusco, known for its remarkable engineering.
- San Blas: Wander through the artistic and bohemian district known for its narrow streets, workshops, and artisan boutiques.
- Coricancha (Golden Temple): Learn about Inca history and colonial architecture at this site that combines Inca and Spanish influences.
- Hiking and Trekking: Embark on hiking adventures to nearby trails, such as the Inca Trail, Salkantay Trek, and the Rainbow Mountain trek.
If you would prefer to take your TEFL course in the US before heading overseas, then you might want to check out our training center in New York City. Although this iconic city needs little introduction, there are many highlights to look forward to, including:
- Central Park: Explore the iconic Central Park, offering scenic landscapes, walking trails, boating, and cultural attractions.
- Times Square: Experience the bustling heart of the city, known for its dazzling billboards, Broadway theaters, and vibrant atmosphere.
- Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island: Take a ferry to visit these historic landmarks, symbolizing freedom and immigration.
- Empire State Building: Ascend this iconic skyscraper for panoramic views of the city skyline from its observation deck.
- Neighborhoods: Discover the city's diverse neighborhoods, each with its own character and cultural attractions, such as Harlem, Greenwich Village, and Williamsburg (Brooklyn).