"Like" us to connect with other students, watch videos, see job offers and even get special discounts.
Teach English in Vietnam (2)
Date posted:2010-12-08 | Writer: VUS-ETSC | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Vietnam USA Society English Training Services Center (VUS-ETSC) is one of the largest and most respected language institutions in Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC) and nationwide. We are currently looking for TEFL qualified native English speaking teachers to start work in early 2011, at our various language centers located throughout the growing metropolis of HCMC, Vietnam.
Offering a wide range of high quality English-language training programs designed in cooperation with the City University of New York (CUNY), VUS-ETSC has nearly 20,000 students enrolled at various campuses throughout HCMC and employs a teaching staff of just over 600 qualified Vietnamese and native English speaking teachers. All of the training centers are large scale buildings with comfortable, air-conditioned classrooms and computer labs with ADSL Internet access.
Successful applicant will need to be Native English speakers with:
• Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent) in any discipline + English language teaching certification (CELTA, TESOL, TEFL)
• B.Ed / PGCE in TESOL / TEFL / Applied Linguistics
Although previous teaching experience is preferred, newly certified teachers are more than welcome to apply.
SALARIES & CONTRACTS
All salaries at VUS are based on qualifications, experience and your teaching performance. During the initial interview applicants are told of the salary band that applies to them, based on qualifications and teaching experience. Teaching performance is determined by a demonstration teaching class if you are applying from within Vietnam and by a submitted lesson plan followed up with a panel interview if you are applying from outside the country. The outcome of the demo class / panel interview will help decide the initial pay offered.
At VUS you will initially sign a 1 year contract with a 1 month probation period. All salaries are paid on an hourly basis and are net of taxes (VUS pays the taxes on your behalf). The average schedule for a full time teacher is from 20 - 25 hours per week, averaging some 100+ hours per month. During certain times of the year a teacher's schedule may exceed 30 contact hours per week.
The following benefits apply to all VUS teachers:
• Assistance in acquiring a work permit and reimbursement of costs incurred- up to $300 US upon completion of work permit application process
• Free Vietnamese language classes
• Annual awards for recognition of outstanding teaching performance, including free trips to scenic hotspots in Vietnam
• Additional pay for TOEFL classes, some off campus travel and Corporate classes
• Help with visa renewals (visa costs are covered in full for teachers with a work permit and a full time contract; partial payment of visas for teachers who don’t have work permits and are not on full time contracts, but who are working 80 hours per month or more)
In addition to the standard hourly rate teaching contract VUS also offers a full time teaching contract (FTTC) that provides the following:
• Contract completion bonus (equal to 100 hours x your hourly rate at the time of completion of your contract)
• $400 US cash supplement provided for health insurance
APPLYING FOR A POSITION
interested applicants are invited to send an application package with the following included to the VUS head office or to the e-mail address given on the job heading:
• Updated CV / resume
• Covering letter outlining the reasons for wanting to work in HCMC and the expected arrival date
• Copy of your passport page with details and photo
• Copies of degrees/ certificates
• Any recent reference letters
To: Recruitment Manager
• Mr Steve Baker (ext. 264):
Vietnam USA Society English Training Service Center
Head Office: 9th Floor, 189 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai St, District 1
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Telephone : +(848) 3925-9899
*ABOUT WORK PERMITS FOR VIETNAM
Under Vietnamese labor law, a foreigner has to apply for and obtain a work permit in order to legally work in Vietnam and to renew business or work visas. Without a work permit, a foreigner in Vietnam will only be allowed to renew / extend their visas as a 1 month single-entry visa (in some cases as a 3 month single entry visa can be arranged) during which time it’s expected that a work permit will be applied for. If the work permit isn’t applied for during this time, then the foreign teacher may need to leave Vietnam when the visa expires.
In order to obtain a work permit the school has to submit an application on behalf of the teacher that includes the following original documents:
• University degree (BA or higher)
• Teaching certification (TEFL, TESOL, CELTA or other)
• Criminal background check
Be aware that the above documents need to be authenticated as per Vietnamese regulations. After the school has been issued your work permit, you will be paid a $300 US reimbursement fee to cover the costs associated with getting the work permit.