"Like" us to connect with other students, watch videos, see job offers and even get special discounts.
Teach English in Japan - Nagano
Date posted:2002-11-07 | Writer: Izumi Shobo Inc. | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Izumi English Club was established in 1998 as a division of Izumi-Shobo Inc. Izumi-Shobo has been in the education business for over twenty fives years running cram schools and handling teaching materials in locations all across Nagano Prefecture. The English Club specializes in teaching English to children (generally 5-13 years old). Currently there are over 1200 students enrolled in the English Club throughout the prefecture with the number increasing every year since its inception. One (1) position will be available in Nagano city from the beginning of January 2003. We are looking for an experienced and extremely responsible English teacher to guide mainly young children.
This is a great opportunity for anyone who wishes to study or improve upon their Japanese, enjoys the great outdoors and is looking for a less hectic, less stressful and friendlier environment when compared to teaching in large cities. Training, support and all teaching materials and curriculum are provided, but we do require teachers who work well independently with little or no supervision and are comfortable driving on Japanese roads/highways as the classrooms are generally located off site from the head office.
In addition, this position requires someone who is willing to work a semi-irregular, split shift schedule. Basically the morning hours are spent teaching at local kindergartens and the late afternoon-evenings are spent teaching children at Izumi English Club facilities. While the schedule is set for the entire length of the contract, the days/teaching times will vary from week to week. The number of work hours (including; teaching, telephone lessons, Saturday events, travel and prep time) will not exceed forty per week.
Special Note on Teaching at Kindergartens
The kindergarten lessons are critical to Izumi-Shobo's educational mission in partnering with local education councils and boards. Because of the importance of these lessons, the teacher must strive to present an experienced, responsible and professional impression while teaching at the kindergartens. Also, because of the semi-irregular type of schedule, the teacher must pay extremely close attention to the weekly schedule and be aware of where and when the lessons are being taught.
Basic Terms of Employment are:
Hours: M-F; 35-40 hours per week (includes teaching, telephone lessons,
Saturday events, travel and prep time)
Mornings (approximately 10-noon) teaching at five local kindergartens
Late afternoon-evening (apprx. 4-7pm)
Occasional Saturday Events
Pay & Benefits
1) 280, 000/ Yen month
2) Special Event Payment (if applicable)
3) Cash bonus of 50, 000 Yen (minimum) upon completion of a one year contract
4) Partially furnished, 1DK apartment is available at 40, 000/month (furnished with heater/aircon, refrigerator, cooking facilities, TV/VCR, futon and other basic amenities)
5) Company car (insured and gas paid by company) lent at 20, 000/ Yen month. Fully available for personal use
6) Visa sponsorship and renewal
Izumi offers the following holidays:
1) Golden Week apprx. 8-10 days at end of April/beginning of May
2) Obon - apprx. 8-10 days in mid-August
3) Christmas/New Years apprx. 14-16days at end of December/beginning January
Izumi does hold classes on national holidays (Mondays), however, on these days the teacher is only required to travel to the classroom and teach the class/es (generally late afternoon/early evening) and not report to the office.
The position requires the following:
1) Bachelor's Degree and fluency in English
2) Experience and/or education in English teaching (teaching English to children is preferred)
3) Proper working visa: Izumi will sponsor appropriate candidates outside Japan
4) Minimum 1 year commitment
5) Japanese or International Driver's Permit
To apply please send the following via email ( email@example.com ) or fax 0266-58-0504 (outside Japan 81-266-58-0504) to Mr. Kenji Ishimura at Izumi-Shobo English Club:
1) Cover letter stating why you're interested in this position.
It would be helpful if you could highlight why you enjoy teaching children and your basic concept or philosophy toward teaching English to children.
3) Copy of your University Degree
4) Recent Photo
5) Your current Japanese visa status (if applicable)
6) Any additional materials that you think would be helpful (references, etc.)
Only successful applicants will be contacted for an interview either in Japan (for those currently residing nearby) or telephone interviews for those living abroad/at a great distance.
We look forward to hearing from interested, experienced candidates!
ÜAs stated previously, Izumi has a set curriculum and teaching materials. Izumi will provide training during the first month of employment to familiarize the teacher with the classroom locations, curriculum and materials. At this time the new teacher will accompany the current teacher to the various classrooms in order to observe their lessons. During the training period the salary will be paid at a rate of 70% of the monthly salary.
áHealth insurance and travel costs to Nagano prefecture will be borne by the successful candidate. Although Izumi does not offer health insurance, we can help arrange enrollment in the Japanese National Health Insurance Program (again, the cost would be borne by the teacher).