Date posted:2009-09-30 | Writer: SCLC | Email: [email protected]
Located on the beautiful Sarapiqui River, the Sarapiqui Conservation Learning Center is a non-profit organization in Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui, Costa Rica dedicated to linking the communities with conservation through education and ecotourism.
The SCLC is currently looking for an ESL Teacher. This position involves teaching English to adults and teens at the Center, possibly teaching English at local elementary schools, and assisting with conservation projects. Preferred applicants have TEFL certification, a university degree and speak Spanish.
• Teach 3 levels of English night classes to adults and young adults. (Each level meets twice a week for 1.5 hrs)
• Teach one English course during the day that meets 2 times per week (level to be determined by needs of community) (Schedule to be determined by volunteer)
• Maintain and Update the current English curriculum
• Assist After-School Program coordinator with incorporating English into lesson plans
• Assist Scholarship Program coordinator with incorporating English into Scholarship Program
• Develop additional English classes as interested or time permits
• Minimum advanced beginner/intermediate level of Spanish
• Fluency in English
• Certification in ESL, such as TEFL / TESOL
• Experience teaching ESL
• Experience creating lesson plans
• Experience teaching adults and children
• Experience with classroom management
• Willing to work nights 5:30 – 8:30 pm
***All long-term volunteers receive free room and board with a local homestay family, including three meals a day and laundry, as well as a bicycle and Internet access at the Center.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send an email to the address given on the job heading page with a copy of your resume.
Below you can read feedback from an ITTT graduate regarding one section of their online TEFL certification course. Each of our online courses is broken down into concise units that focus on specific areas of English language teaching.