"Like" us to connect with other students, watch videos, see job offers and even get special discounts.
Teach TEFL in Chile as a Volunteer
Date posted:2009-01-13 | Writer: English Opens Doors Volunteer Program | Email: email@example.com
The Chilean Ministry of Education in partnership with the United Nations Development Programme-Chile sponsors Annual, 8, 6, 4 month programs teaching English in Chilean public schools.
Working with English Opens Doors Program and the Chilean Ministry of Education, volunteers will be assigned to public schools in regions throughout Chile, live with host families in their community, and receive a monthly stipend. During the Annual, 8, 6, 4 month placements, volunteers serve as English-language teaching assistants to Chilean English teachers for 25 hours per week, and spend an additional 10 hours a week planning classes and leading extracurricular activities for the school community.
In public schools, English language instruction begins in the 5th grade and volunteers may be assigned to work with one or more grade levels anywhere from 5th to 12th grade. Volunteers split classes with a Chilean English teacher and teach one-half of the group (approximately 25 students) focusing on listening and speaking skills in their own classroom, while the Chilean teacher works with the second half of the group in a separate classroom setting. After 45 minutes, the volunteer and the Chilean teacher switch groups. The presence of a native English speaker provides an excellent opportunity for students and teachers to further develop their listening and speaking skills.
To participate in the program, all volunteers must:
• Be near native English speakers.
• Have a minimum 2 year degree
• Have experience teaching or working with children and a genuine interest in assisting English teaching. TEFL certification is a plus.
• Assume all related costs to complete the in-country process for obtaining their Temporary Residence Visa and Chilean I.D. Card.
• Be mentally and physically capable of teaching children.
• Have experience living or traveling in another country, preferably in the developing world.
• Have an interest in Chilean culture and living in a developing country.
• Be highly committed, responsible, and flexible
The Ministry of Education and UNDP-Chile offer:
• Accommodations and meals with a host family.
• A monthly stipend of CLP 85.000 (approximately USD$135 as
of January 2008).
• Health Insurance, Pre-Departure Information and Support.
• All-expense paid orientation in Santiago, which includes information about the Chilean educational system,a cultural orientation, Spanish lessons, and cultural activities.
• All-expense paid regional orientation
• Assistance obtaining a Temporary Residence Visa and Chilean I.D.
• Round-trip transportation from Santiago to the regional placement
• E-blended Spanish Course (online Link Chile e-learning Spanish)
• Classroom Materials
• Ongoing teaching support.
• Program certification by the Chilean Ministry of Education.
Costs Covered by the English Opens Doors Volunteer Center:
• Airport transfer fees to designated accommodations for Santiago orientation for volunteers who arrive on official program start dates.
Costs not Covered by the English Opens Doors Volunteer Center:
• International airfare from the home country to Santiago, Chile.
• The entrance reciprocity fee at Arturo Merino Benítez International Airport in Santiago, Chile
• Domestic and international phone calls.
• Fees for obtaining the Temporary Residence Visa
• Personal expenses and other documentation fees (passport, Chilean I.D.
• Airport transfer fees for volunteers who do not arrive on the specified
For more information contact us by email at the address given on the job heading page.