"Like" us to connect with other students, watch videos, see job offers and even get special discounts.
Opportunites to Teach TEFL in Hong Kong
Date posted:2009-02-22 | Writer: Education Bureau of Hong Kong | Email: email@example.com
To maintain the force of native English speaking teachers (NETs) in public sector primary and secondary schools, a substantial number of NETs are required for the school year 2009-2010. On behalf of the primary and secondary schools in Hong Kong, the Education Bureau of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region cordially invites you to apply for the NET positions.
NETs are required to teach English as a second language to Chinese students and assist in teacher and curriculum development in Government and Government-subvented primary schools (for students aged between 6 and 11) and secondary schools (for students aged between 12 and 17) and schools for students with special educational needs.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR APPOINTMENT
Candidates should have fluent speaking English competence and possess:
(A) For secondary school NETs
(i) A bachelor's degree majoring in English Language or English Literature or English Studies or Linguistics** or a Modern Language** OR a Bachelor of Education degree (majoring in English or a Modern Language** but not primary education specialist) obtained after 3 years' full-time study from a Hong Kong university or equivalent; and
(ii) A Post-graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) majoring in English or equivalent; and
(iii) At least 1 year's post-graduate experience of teaching English (preferably as a second or foreign language) at secondary school level or above.
- Applicants who possess a bachelor's degree in other academic subjects AND a PGDE or equivalent AND Teaching English as a Foreign or a Second Language (TEFL/TESOL) qualification preferably at diploma level AND at least 1 year's post-graduate experience of teaching English at secondary school level or above may also apply and the applications may only be considered when there are positions left unfilled by candidates meeting all the qualification requirements.
(B) For primary school NETs
(i) A bachelor's degree majoring in English Language or English Literature or English Studies or Linguistics** or a Modern Language** from a Hong Kong university or equivalent; and
(ii) A recognized teacher training qualification in primary education; and
(iii) A Teaching of English as a Foreign Language or a Second Language (TEFL/TESOL) qualification at least at certificate level.
- Applicants who possess a bachelor's degree in any subjects AND/OR a recognized teacher training qualification not in primary education AND a TEFL/TESOL qualification at least certificate level may also apply and the applications may only be considered when there are positions left unfilled by candidates meeting all the qualification requirements.
** A degree in Linguistics or Modern Languages should be one in which English is the major language studies.
For appointment in special schools, preference will be given to candidates who have special education training and/or experience in teaching students with special educational needs.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF APPOINTMENT
- The appointment will normally be on a two-year contract from 16 August 2009 to 15 August 2011, subject to renewal after expiry.
- The salary scales are:
(a) For secondary school NETs - from around HK$22,985 to HK$48,400 (*approx. £1,912 to £4,026) per month (12 months a year).
(b) For primary school NETs - from around HK$22,985 to HK$40,290 (*approx. £1,912 to £3,352) per month (12 months a year).
- 15% end of contract gratuity will be granted if your performance and conduct during the period of service are satisfactory.
- A cash retention incentive, 5% OR 10 % of basic salary will be provided to eligible NETs for the satisfactory completion of the third and fourth year OR the fifth year of continuous service onwards in Hong Kong respectively. The incentive is not payable for the first two years' of continuous service.
- Passage, baggage and medical allowances AND a special allowance of HK$12,950 (*approx. £1,077) per month are provided for appointees whose normal place of residence is outside Hong Kong. (A NET will not be eligible for the special allowance if his/her normal place of residence is not outside Hong Kong or his/her spouse is currently receiving the same allowance or any housing benefit from his/her own employer.)
- The salary, the terms and conditions of service to be offered are subject to the candidate's qualifications and post-qualification teaching experience and the prevailing conditions at the time the offer of appointment is made.
* Based on exchange rate HK$12 = £1 (subject to fluctuation).
Applicants applying for the above positions in both primary and secondary schools should complete separate application forms for each position and send/fax the completed application forms to the following address not later than 28 February 2009.
NET Administration Team, Education Bureau, The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, Room 1321, 13th floor Wu Chung House, 213 Queen's Road East, Wan Chai, Hong Kong.
Fax No: (852) 2123 1239
Tel No: (852) 2892 6517 or (852) 2892 6492
E-mail address: given on the job heading.
Applicants are required to produce documentary evidence that they have/have not been found guilty of criminal offence (e.g. Certificate of No Criminal Conviction (CNCC)) from the countries/cities where they have resided.
Personal data provided by job applications will be used strictly in accordance with this Bureau's personal data policies, a copy of which will be provided immediately upon request. You may contact the NET Administration Team at Room 1321, 13/F, 213 Queen's Road East, Wan Chai, Hong Kong.