"Like" us to connect with other students, watch videos, see job offers and even get special discounts.
How much can I earn teaching English in South Korea?
- South Korea is one of the most popular destinations for teaching English abroad. Thousands of new and experienced teachers head to the country every year as it offers competitive salaries and good working conditions. When you also consider that South Korea is one of Asia's wealthiest and most developed countries, with low crime rates and a high-tech infrastructure, its' popularity comes as no surprise.
- The salary you can expect to earn while teaching English in South Korea will vary depending on where you work and your level of experience. The typical average monthly salaries are as follows:
- First time teachers = 1.8 to 2.0 million KRW ($1,600 to $1,800 USD)
- Experienced teachers = 2.0 to 2.7 million KRW ($1,800 to $2,400 USD)
- First time teachers = 2.0 to 2.1 million KRW ($1,800 to $1,900 USD)
- Experienced teachers = 2.1 to 3.0 million KRW ($1,900 to $2,700 USD)
- The majority of teachers also receive a range of extra benefits when they sign a contract with a school in South Korea. Return airfares are typically paid for in advance or reimbursed on arrival. Accommodation is also generally provided in the form of a private, fully furnished apartment. All teachers are covered by the national healthcare system, and in most cases will receive a bonus of an additional month?s salary on completion of the contract. You will also enjoy plenty of free time, as public school teachers are entitled to three weeks paid vacation and up to 18 national holidays per year. Those working in the private sector also receive the same national holidays and around two weeks? vacation.
- South Korea has a relatively low cost of living in comparison to many western countries. The combination of a competitive salary and low outgoings means it is possible to save a considerable sum over the length of your contract. On average an English language teacher in South Korea could expect to save somewhere in the region of 50% of their salary, which equates to around $800-$1200 per month.