Problems with Business English Classes - And How to Solve Them!
In this blog post, we will discuss some of the more common problems that can be associated with the teaching of Business English classes. They are some of the things that we need to be aware of as teachers about our learners.
Watch the video about this topic
Firstly we need to bear in mind that very often our students will have been working all day before they come to their English classes and so our students are going to be tired. We need to be aware of that and we need to take account of it within our lessons. It is unreasonable to expect full attention and engagement from our students under these circumstances.
Secondly if the students come to us from a particular department in a company which is very often the case, the whole department comes across for their English lesson at once. It is very unlikely that all the students within that department are going to be at the same level, so we need to be prepared for mixed ability classes. Obviously we cannot present the same information in exactly the same way to all of those students if it's a mixed ability class. So we have to take techniques such as differentiated activities, which have varying levels within them, into consideration when planning the lessons.
Another thing you need to be aware of is that students will not always be able to attend your lessons. It could be that they have another meeting somewhere else within the company or they're off visiting clients somewhere and so their attendance could well be erratic. As this may well be a common occurrence, you need to be aware of gaps in individual student’s knowledge.
Finally for your business English classes do be aware that they're going to have different motivations for being there. If the company has decided that all of their employees will have to learn English up to a certain level, there may well be students in that class who don't really want to be learning English.
You have to be aware that they are going to have different motivations and it is very important in that situation therefore to find out;
- what these people are interested in
- what they're going to be using their English for
- something about the jobs that they actually do and from this information, try to tailor your teaching to make it as useful as possible.
Are you ready to teach English as a foreign language?
Apply now & get certified to teach english abroad!
Speak with an ITTT advisor today to put together your personal plan for teaching English abroad!
Send us an email or call us toll-free at 1-800-490-0531 to speak with an ITTT advisor today.
- Top 10 Cities in Europe with the Highest Demand for English Language Teachers
- 5 Reasons To Take A TEFL Course Right Now - Even If You Are Not Leaving Yet | ITTT | TEFL Blog
- All the Documents You Will Need to Teach English Abroad
- The Impact of Positive Motivation on an ESL Classroom
- You’re Never Too Old to Change Your Life and Do a TEFL Course | ITTT | TEFL Blog
- Getting Student Placement Right - The Best Desk Arrangements for EFL Students