How do I get a job teaching English in Switzerland?


1. Qualifications and Requirements
2. Finding Job Opportunities
3. Applying for Jobs
4. Navigating the Legal Process

Qualifications and Requirements

Teaching English in Switzerland typically requires a bachelor's degree and a TEFL certification. A bachelor's degree in English, Education, or a related field is preferred, although not always mandatory. A TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certification is highly recommended and sometimes required by employers. Additionally, having some teaching experience, especially with non-native English speakers, can give you a competitive edge in the job market. Fluency in German, French, or Italian may also be advantageous, depending on the region of Switzerland you are looking to work in.

Finding Job Opportunities

There are several avenues you can explore to find job opportunities teaching English in Switzerland. Online job boards such as Dave's ESL Cafe,, and the International Job Board of the Swiss government are good places to start. Networking with other English teachers, attending job fairs, and reaching out to language schools and universities directly can also help you uncover hidden job opportunities. Additionally, consider contacting the Swiss Ministry of Education or local education authorities for information on job openings.

Applying for Jobs

When applying for English teaching positions in Switzerland, make sure to tailor your CV and cover letter to each job application. Highlight any relevant teaching experience, certifications, and language skills you possess. Be prepared to provide references and possibly undergo a teaching demonstration or interview as part of the application process. Additionally, consider obtaining a work visa or permit before applying for jobs, as some employers may require proof of your legal right to work in Switzerland.

Navigating the Legal Process

Once you have secured a job teaching English in Switzerland, you will need to navigate the legal process of obtaining a work visa or permit. EU/EFTA citizens have the right to work in Switzerland without a permit, but non-EU/EFTA citizens will typically need a work visa. The type of permit you need will depend on various factors, including your nationality, the duration of your employment, and the type of work you will be doing. It is advisable to consult with the Swiss Embassy or a legal advisor to ensure you have all the necessary documentation and permits in place before starting your teaching job.

TEFL Switzerland TEFL Switzerland - page 1 How do I get a job teaching English in Cambodia? How do I get a job teaching English in Brazil? How do I get a job teaching English in Taiwan? How do I get a job teaching English in Germany? How do I get a job teaching English in China? How do I get a job teaching English in Japan? How do I get a job teaching English in Turkey? How do I get a job teaching English in Vietnam?