"Like" us to connect with other students, watch videos, see job offers and even get special discounts.
Teach EFL in Lancashire, England
Date posted:2013-02-14 | Writer: Stonyhurst Language School | Email: email@example.com
We are looking for suitably qualified and experienced candidates for the post of EFL Teacher to help build upon the success of our first year of operation in July 2012 and to make a significant contribution to the Stonyhurst Language School team. Our EFL teachers will be responsible to the Director of Studies.
Stonyhurst College is a co-educational day and boarding school set in 2,500 acres of Lancashire countryside. Founded in 1593, the College has been welcoming and educating students from around the world for over 400 years. The College itself enjoys an excellent reputation for its high academic results, exceptional pastoral care, unrivalled facilities, extensive range of extra-curricular activities and Jesuit values. Stonyhurst Language School offers two consecutive 2-weeks English Language Courses for 11 – 16 year old international students. Course One will run from Thursday 4th July – Thursday 18th July 2013 and Course Two from Thursday 18th July – Thursday 1st August 2013. We anticipate taking approximately 75 students on each course.
Each 2-week course will include 23 hours of high quality English teaching per week. Teaching is based on ‘Total English’ and is supported by a substantial bank of resources. It will deliver at 5 levels: Elementary / Pre-Intermediate / Intermediate / Upper Intermediate / Advanced. The maximum class size will be 10 and all students will take an assessment test on arrival. The majority of academic preparation work has already been completed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
To teach a maximum of 23 hours per week and to be responsible for a number of supervisory duties, including boarding.
1. To prepare, plan and teach English lessons to a high standard, based on the Stonyhurst syllabus and schemes of work.
2. To complete and keep up to date the administrative paperwork as necessary (including end of course reports, classroom registers, marking and class records of work).
3. To maintain classroom discipline, keep classrooms safe and tidy, display students work, maintain personal and student punctuality and begin and end lessons according to the timetable.
4. To participate in the Inset provision.
5. To participate in the Appraisal scheme, be observed by a member of the SMT, and engage in subsequent discussions.
6. To attend meetings arranged by the Course Director or the Director of Studies.
1. To have read and understood the Stonyhurst policies concerning pastoral care and the protection of children set out in the Staff Handbook.
2. To maintain student safety as a top priority and follow the Stonyhurst guidelines on Health and Safety contained in the Staff Handbook.
3. To be diligent in carrying out supervisory duties and as a Tutor according to the guidelines in the Staff Handbook.
4. To take on the role and responsibilities of Tutor as described in the Staff Handbook.
5. To carry out a minimum of 2 overnight duties during the 2 week course.
6. To wear the ID’s and Language School clothing when on duty.
1. To participate in the Induction Course prior to the opening of the School.
2. To be a member of the airport transfer/school reception teams.
The successful candidate would have:
1. A CELTA / TEFL / TESOL certificate or equivalent.
2. A high standard of spoken and written English equivalent to CEF level C2/CPE/IELTS 8-0.
3. A degree or equivalent.
4. Experience of teaching teenagers in either a Language School or year-round academic school.
5. A willingness to undertake duties other than teaching if required.
Desirable but not essential are:
1. Has worked with teenagers whose first language is not English.
2. Is computer literate.
3. Is enthusiastic and adaptable.
4. Is available for a 4 week period.
Salary is £427 per week maximum (subject to qualifications and experience). In addition, attendance at the pre-course Induction Day will be paid on a pro rata basis.
The hours to be worked average 48 hours per week over the 2 week course. This includes time allocated to preparation, marking and administration. There will be a day off each week incorporated into the timetable for all EFL Teachers.
The contract would be for the duration of the course (i.e. 4 weeks from Thursday 4th July – Thursday 1st August 2013).
Our arrangements provide for you to have a residential base throughout the full duration of the Summer Language School programme. This includes provision of meals, even on your days off should you choose to stay on site. You may decide not to take this residential option, but must be confident about being able to be in attendance in good time for the required hours of working. There are no adjustments to remuneration whatever your choice.
Please remember that the job requires you to be in attendance for duty on a number of overnight supervisory attendances. We provide specific rooms for these overnight duties in addition to the residential base that is available throughout the duration of the Summer Language School programme.
Stonyhurst is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people, and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The successful candidate will be subject to an Enhanced CRB check.
If you would like to apply for the position, please contact us via email at the address given on the job heading for a full application pack, including job description, application form and further information about the school.