What visa do I need to teach English in Spain?

    People come from all over the world to teach English as a foreign language in Spain, and there are a variety of different visa options depending on your nationality. The following is a brief overview of the current options; however, we recommend that you always conduct your own research to ensure you have the most up-to-date information.

  1. What visa do EU citizens need to teach English in Spain?

    As Spain is a member of the European Union, teachers from other EU member states do not need a visa to live and work legally in Spain. However, you will still need to apply for a residency permit and a tax number on arrival in the country. The application process should be straightforward and you can usually expect your employer to help you through it.

  2. What visa do non-EU citizens need to teach English in Spain?

    For non-EU citizens, the most common option is a 90-day tourist visa that is issued on arrival at a Spanish airport. Once in the country many teachers simply find a job and work as normal even after the visa has expired. Although this is not technically legal, it is common practice and rarely causes any problems for teachers or employers. Every year thousands of Americans and other non-Europeans follow this route to teaching English in Spain.

  3. Can I get a work visa to teach English in Spain?

    An official work visa is not easy to come by in Spain as it requires a significant investment of time and money on the part of the employer. Exceptions can be found in international schools that typically only employ teachers with a high level of qualifications and experience. Work placements organized through the Ministry of Education's public school recruitment program also come with a work visa.

  4. Can I get a working holiday visa to teach English in Spain?

    These are available to some nationalities whose governments have an individual agreement with Spain. The visa allows you to work in the country for a specific time (typically one year), with certain restrictions. Working holiday visas are generally only available to those aged 18 to 30, and you will also need to provide evidence of sufficient funds to last the length of your stay. Currently there are agreements in place for Australians, New Zealanders, and Canadians, although this can change at any time so you should contact your nearest Spanish Embassy to see if you are eligible.

  5. Can I teach English in Spain with a student visa?

    A student visa might be a good option if you are planning to study at a Spanish language school or university, as it may also allow you to work legally for a certain number of hours per week. Unlike other visa options, the student visa needs to be applied for in advance from within your own country. Your nearest Spanish Embassy will be able to provide full details of eligible study programs and how to apply.

What visa do I need to teach English in Spain?

Check out ITTT's Blog Posts




Apply for your TEFL/TESOL Course!
  • 1The application process is free and does not commit you in any way.
  • 2Anyone fluent in English and aged 18+ is eligible for our courses.
  • 3No previous experience or qualifications are required.
  • 4Apply today and receive a free e-guide covering the basics of TEFL/TESOL.
  • 5Sign up for your course before Apr, 03 2020 and receive an additional course free of charge.*
* Applies to in-class courses, combined courses, diploma courses and 120-hour online course with tutor and videos
Course Details
Personal data
Additional Information

Where would you like to teach? (optional)

The personal information we collect on this page will be treated in accordance with our privacy policy.
By submitting this form you declare to have read and agreed to the Terms & Conditions.

If you want to take a specialized course (CTBE or CTEYL) click here

If you want to take a standard course, click here