"Like" us to connect with other students, watch videos, see job offers and even get special discounts.
What is the NET Scheme for teaching English in Hong Kong?
- The NET (Native-speaking English Teachers) Scheme is a recruitment program initiated by the Hong Kong Education Bureau that places qualified teachers from overseas countries into state run schools. The scheme recruits hundreds of teachers every year to work in either primary or secondary level schools across the territory. The stated goal of the scheme is to share and promote innovation in teaching practice, and to provide an authentic classroom environment for local students. Participants on the scheme will receive a generous salary and extra benefits, as well as a unique opportunity to live and work in one of the most vibrant and cosmopolitan parts of Asia.
- To be eligible, you must be a native-English speaker or possess an exceptionally high standard of English language competence. Successful applicants are required to sign a two year contract with one specific school that begins at the start of the school year in August. Although the scheme is open to teachers of all ages, Hong Kong has a mandatory retirement age of 60 so applicants must be less than 58 years of age at the contract start date.
- The scheme is split into two separate areas for primary level teachers and secondary level teachers known as PNET and SNET. Applicants for the PNET Scheme work with primary students aged from six to twelve, with a typical class size of 30 to 37. The qualifications required for these positions are a degree in English, a teacher training qualification in primary education, and a TEFL/TESOL certification. In the event that not enough teachers meet these requirements, those with a lower level of qualifications are considered.
- If accepted on the SNET Scheme you will work with secondary students in an average class size of 40 to 45. The stated criteria for these positions are a degree in English or education, a post-graduate diploma in education, a TEFL/TESOL diploma, and at least one year of teaching experience at secondary level. Once again, if recruitment numbers are not met then applicants with fewer qualifications are considered. For further information, please visit the official NET Scheme website www.edb.gov.hk/NET.
- Teachers who are recruited through the NET Scheme will receive a monthly salary of between HKD 25,000 and 60,000 (currently USD 3,200 to 7,700), dependent upon their relevant experience. In addition to the monthly salary, the scheme also includes several other benefits such as:
- Assistance finding suitable accommodation plus a housing allowance of around HKD 20,000 per month
- Paid round-trip airfare from your home country, including up to four family members
- A relocation allowance to assist with the transport costs of personal belongings
- A stipend for medical insurance coverage