"Like" us to connect with other students, watch videos, see job offers and even get special discounts.
Do I need a passport to teach English abroad?
- If you travel outside of your home country to teach English, you will need to possess a valid passport. Most countries require your passport to be valid for a minimum of six months after the date of entry, so it is vital that you check this in advance. To avoid any hassles while you are away from home, we recommend that you have at least two years validity on your existing passport. Once you know the country or countries where you intend to travel, you can contact the nearest consulate for each country if you have any questions or doubts regarding their entry regulations.
- From within the U.S. you can apply via the State Department?s web page. From outside the country you should contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
- British citizens should visit the U.K. Government?s Services website for full details on applying for or renewing their passport.
- Canadian citizens will find the relevant information on the Government of Canada website.
- Passport information for Australians can be found on the Department of Foreign Affairs website.
- New Zealand citizens should go to the passport page of the Department of Internal Affairs.
- A simple web search for your own country?s passport application procedures should give you all the information you need.
How do I apply for a new passport (or gain an extension to an existing one)?